Juggling university study and a young child, Allister Hill is a busy man. But as the chairman of an owners corporation, the 42-year-old has had to deal with a lot more than usual since a fire broke out at his Brunswick apartment complex in March.
"There's just a lot of uncertainty at the moment," Mr Hill said. "It has been pretty stressful and for me particularly because I've been trying to balance it all."
A faulty air conditioning unit sparked the blaze at the property in Melbourne's north, which quickly spread to the apartment above. Fire investigators have since confirmed that combustible cladding unsuitable for tall apartment buildings had been installed.
As a result of the fire and the subsequent investigation, the apartment's insurance premiums have more than quadrupled.