3.4 Local council development regulations | Owners Corporation Network

3.4 Local council development regulations

Each council will have a range of planning development regulations that guide the design, approval and building of strata buildings, minor and major renovations. However, it is within a council’s power to approve developments and renovations that do not comply with the guidelines.

Most councils will have a hotline for environmental noise complaints. You can ring 24/7 and ask for a noise control officer to come and investigate unacceptable noise. Taking Sydney City Council as an example, their noise control officers don’t have a limit by which they measure whether or not a noise is acceptable. The fact that it can be heard in another dwelling is their primary concern; they then decide whether it constitutes a nuisance. However, they will definitely act if the noise is 10Db louder than the ambient noise in your apartment.